Winning a Young Tall Poppy Science award carries benefits, in addition to the certificate and trophy:
- Prestige and peer recognition
- Media opportunities and public exposure
- Opportunity to join and enjoy the Tall Poppy alumni network nationally and in your state or territory
- Associate Membership of AIPS for one year
- Personal development including training and networking
Your award will contribute to the following outcomes:
- Promoting science and intellectual achievement
- Giving a better voice to younger scientific researchers in public debate
- Facilitating public scientific engagement in issues relevant to the community
- Encouraging youth to get into science whether as a career, a study path or as a future informed citizen
- Assisting policy makers to get closer to the science that may need to inform public policy decisions and dilemmas
All Tall Poppies receive a certificate and a trophy alongside public and peer recognition at an awards ceremony. There is no cap on the number of winners – you should refer to past years for a guide.
The results of selection are based on a nationally consistent benchmark for the award.
From the Young Tall Poppies in each state and territory, a Young Tall Poppy of the Year will be selected.
Sponsors for these prizes are listed below:
- Australian Capital Territory – Australian Capital Territory Tall Poppy of the Year Award – sponsored by Australian National University.
- New South Wales – New South Wales Tall Poppy of the Year Award – sponsored by University of New South Wales, University of Western Sydney, University of Newcastle, Macquarie University and the University of Sydney.
- Northern Territory – Northern Territory Tall Poppy of the Year Award – supported the NT Government
- Queensland – Queensland Tall Poppy of the Year Award – sponsored by Griffith University, Queensland University of Technology, the office of the Chief Scientist and Queensland Government and the University of Queensland
- South Australia – South Australian Tall Poppy of the Year Award – sponsored by Flinders University, University of South Australia, the University of Adelaide and the South
Australian Department for Industry and Skills. The award is made at the SA Science Excellence Awards.
- Tasmania – Tasmanian Tall Poppy of the Year Award – sponsors include the University of Tasmania
- Victoria – Victorian Tall Poppy off the Year Award – sponsors include Swinburne University of Technology and Monash University.
- Western Australia – Western Australian Tall Poppy of the Year Award – sponsors include Edith Cowan University, Curtin University and the >University of Western Australia.
Young Tall Poppy Science Award Ceremonies are held in every state and territory. For more information on all of the awards around the country please see the News and Events page.